Tuesday, April 5, 2011

American River Bike Trail is Passable -- Mostly

This morning, I left a little early and got onto the bikeway at 19th and C Streets in Sacramento.  At the intersection between the Sacramento Northern Bike Trail and the Jedediah Smith American River Bike Trail, I found standing water--less than a foot deep, but still standing.  I'm riding a new bike, so I decided not to wade it. 

I backtracked a short distance, got onto Del Paso, rode up a user-defined foot-path near the base of the levee, and got around the puddle on dry land.  A dismount was never required, though wide tires were a definite plus on the unpaved and unimproved foot-path. 

In recent posts, I have voiced fears that the debris left over from the flooding would render the trail impassable for days even after the water subsided.  I was pleased to see, this morning, that crews from the City have been working on this as the water was receding.  Once I got beyond the small inundated area, the trail was clean and easily passable for any bicycle.  We're almost back to normal out there.

I rode this morning from 19th and C to Northrup, passing Cal Expo along the way.  The only flooding I saw was at the intersection described above.  I have not travelled in the direction of Discovery Park, where I expect that the flooding was more extensive.  If I get over that way, I will post an update.

2 comments:

  1. this is exactly where the need for your VIN number comes into play, this can ensure you will get the right component you need for your 18 wheeler.
    technology

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid leaving your beach cruiser out in the rain or outside overnight if dew is a possibility for the next morning.


    bike grips

    ReplyDelete