Friday, April 22, 2011

Latest news from the Sacramento Bikeways

This is the time of year that I recall how beautiful a place Sacramento can be to live and cycle in.  The sun is out now, late enough that I can ride without lights after work.  The winds are generally light and temperatures are mild.  I know that in a few months, I will miss these conditions, but they'll be back in the fall.  Two out of the four seasons here are superb for cycling.  That being said, winter is pretty tolerable if you have lights and summer is okay if you don't mind being hot!

Since I've been riding this commute for more than nine months now, I have been making some adjustments to my collection of bicycles.

If you've been following me, you've doubtless already seen a photo or two of my new ride.  It's a 2010 Globe Vienna 4, which was quickly dubbed, "the Blue Ox," by one of my roommates.  I haven't blogged about it until now because we were still getting to know one another!

I picked up this bicycle to improve my ability to carry larger cargo.  In this photo, I have my laptop case on the front basket and panniers on the rear.  As I do more telecommuting, I spend more and more time in transit with my laptop.  Right now, it's no big deal to put it into a messenger bag.  In mid-summer, though, I will be glad that I can put it on the basket and keep my back well-ventilated.

The racks aren't stock.  Both are made by Civia Cycles.  They are turning out to have been an excellent investment.  My many thanks go out to the nice folks at Alameda Bicycle who helped me figure this rig out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment