Thursday, March 31, 2011

Continued Inundation of the American River Parkway



Last night after work, I got onto the bike path at 19th & C and headed up over the bridge to the north side of the American River. I was pleased to find that Northgate Blvd is once again open. That was a problem for me, last week, when I needed to get to Natomas for a meeting. As you recall, I ended up taking the bus. 

The water on the bike trail has receded about forty yards, horizontally. That looks to equate to less than three inches vertically. Maybe you bike commuters out there recognize the location in the photograph above. Off in the distance in the picture is the T-intersection between the Jedediah Smith American River Parkway and the Sacramento Northern Bike Trail. The intersection is still under a fair bit of water.  I didn't feel the need to roll my bike through that sludge so I'm not sure of the depth, but you get the idea. My understanding from talking to others is that the trail is largely submerged behind Costco and REI then accessible again after the Elvas railroad tracks. The access points at Cal Expo and Northrop Ave are open and trail segments between Cal Expo and Fair Oaks are dry, for what it's worth. 

I'm headed to Oakland for a long weekend, leaving on Amtrak tonight. I will check the water level again, probably Tuesday, and post an update. 

Yours for the ride,
DC

No comments:

Post a Comment