Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More flats and broken spokes!

I have have had a lot of flats this fall.  This has been due to a combination of things.  I had a piece of rim-tape die on me, which caused two flats (I didn't see the broken bit when I fixed the flat).  Then I had a Presta valve break on me one morning, when I was in a hurry and topping off the tire pressure.  Then on Thursday, when I was riding in...


Bang!  Right through the Armadillo!  Note that the nail went in through the tread and came out through the side-wall, putting two holes into my tube and probably ruining that tire.  Armadillos can take a lot of abuse, but that was too much!  One friend suggested that I get a cow-catcher for the front of my bike. 

I have broken two spokes this month, too.  One of them, just yesterday morning.  If you work at a bike shop, you know to roll your eyes when I say, "I was just riding along when..."  Well.  That's the way it happened!  Sure, I'm a little heavier than the average rider, but I didn't do anything stupid!  So.  Broken spoke on a wheel that's less than five months old--back to the bike shop this week.  I expect it to be covered under warranty--it was when the first spoke broke, three weeks ago. 

Anyway.  This is why I keep three bicycles in my tiny studio apartment in Sacramento.  When I got up in the morning, I found a broken spoke.  So I topped off the rear tire of my back-up roadbike... but broke the Presta valve off.  I rode the mountain bike into work that morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment