Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bad weather on weekends mostly.

When I was a little kid, I believed that adults intentionally set it up so that it would rain on the weekend and be beautiful all week.  I was a pessimistic child.
Since then, I have learned to appreciate that bad weather is likely to get you wet no matter what day of the week.  I like having beautiful weekends--cool and sunny, not too breezy.  On the weekends, though, I can usually make an excuse to not go outdoors if a squall blows in.  On weekdays, I have certain obligations which put me on the Sac North Bikeway at quarter after seven each morning. 

The photograph above is of the Sac North Bikeway where it crosses the American River, utilizing the once-upon-a-time Sacramento Interurban commuter train's trestle near the Blue Diamond Almond plant.  It's a little foggy.  It has been most mornings this month.  The big rain storms have swept through on my days off for the most part, which is kinda nice. 

I have options.  I took light-rail and a bus (with my bike) on Monday morning.  It was drizzling lightly and I felt like I might be coming down with a cold.  No big deal.  The rail stop is two blocks away, the bus transfer is pretty painless most of the time, and the bus drops me off two blocks from work.  It takes a little more time than a bike ride but it's okay. 

I'm glad to have the option of taking transit, but the sun was out again this morning and I was on my bike. 

At my last job, I was out hiking most of the time--at least once a week I would have good reason to go out and walk some trail for work.  I got to see a lot of beautiful country in all the weather you can imagine--from blazing sun to sideways sleet.  I'm pretty happy to get a little dose of Mother Nature every day, sandwiching my hours in front of this computer with a half-hour on the saddle. 

Ain't life grand? 



No comments:

Post a Comment