Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Night of the Dark Salmon

Deep in the dark recesses of Sacramento, there lurks a creature more dangerous and more menacing than even the morning commuter.  I speak of the Dark Salmon and I fear my daily journey into his realm. 

Last night, I encountered the Dark Salmon.  Fortunately, I lived to tell the tale.  I did shout and I did swerve, but the Dark Salmon did not strike me. 

I was riding home from work, on the right side of the street as we often do, outside of the British Commonwealth.  There was oncoming traffic and the lights were a little blinding.  They weren't so bright that I couldn't see the pedestrians walking along the shoulder, though.  I avoided the pedestrians.  Perhaps these pedestrians saved me?  I wonder this because, a split second after passing them, a dark figure swept into my field of view. 

The Dark Salmon was riding an old mountain bike.  He was dressed in dark clothes and had no lights.  He was riding toward me and, had I not moved to avoid the pedestrians, it might have been pretty nasty.  We passed so close and so quickly that I shouted in momentary terror.  I was so close!  I fear the Dark Salmon.

Nevertheless, I will continue defying death by riding my bike with the flow of traffic.  I will continue to defy norms and customs by illuminating my bike and making myself visible.  I will do what I can to avoid altercations with others who use the public rights of way.  Perhaps one day, the Dark Salmon will do the same.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I figure if I was riding at night with no lights, against traffic, it would be so I could see who's coming up ahead (since *they* would be lit, right?), and I would have a chance to avoid them. Somehow, that last step seems missing from the logic of the Salmon.

    I just don't understand why you'd ride with no lights AND AT THE SAME TIME assume everyone is going to getting out of your way.

    ReplyDelete