Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Best tool for the Job?

I often tell people that the best tool for a job is one which was made to do the job. That is, most multi-tools are pretty mediocre at most things that they can do, though there may be many things that they can do.

Today, though, I was very grateful for one of my multi-tools.

My daily commuter, my Schwinn Tempo, is currently outfitted with M324 pedals from Shimano. These are true multi-tools--SPD clipless on one side, platform pedal on the other. 

It's raining, today, and I'm completely decked out in rain gear.  This morning, I went to look for my shoes... no clipless shoes.  Well.  I found my Keen sandals with the SPD cleats on them. I wasn't about to go out in the rain wearing sandals.

I was out of town all weekend. I left from my home in Oakland and got dropped off at my apartment in Sacramento. So. I'm missing one bicycle. I had to borrow a helmet to ride to work in. And no shoes.

Fortunately, these pedals did all right. I found myself fiddling to get the SPD side down once or twice, but it sure beat pushing against egg-beaters with my sneakers.

Hooray for multi-tools when they save the day, but I am still glad that I own five different hammers.

No comments:

Post a Comment