Thursday, February 24, 2011

Go Ride A Bike

Sometimes we get lucky, this time of year, and get a day when the weather is perfect and we have time to enjoy it.  The combination is great.  There are a lot of gorgeous days in Central California, in February, when I'm stuck at work or busy fixing something around the house.  The last three days that I have set aside specifically for a recreational bike trip... it rained. 

Yesterday was beautiful.  Clear skies and no wind.  Mid-fifties.  I was at a training center near the edge of town and also near the Sacramento River.  I had lunch by the river.  It was such a great lunch, I think I saw twelve species of birds just eating lunch. 

I went back to the training center--where I sat in a room and watched an instructor show me how to use a computer program on a projector--and thought about how great lunch was.  "Hey!" I thought, it's light out until after six o'clock now.  If I get out of training around four... I could go do a real ride! 

Sacramento is out in the flatlands.  The city is at the confluence of the American and Sacramento Rivers and is surrounded by agriculture and floodplain (often one in the same).  Going north out of town, there is a winding levee road along the river.  I followed it up to the airport and hung a right, heading back to town the long way. 
 I really can't justify NOT doing trips like this more often.  There is so much beautiful countryside so nearby--and it's so flat that I can easily ride for hours without really having to psyche myself up for it.  Hills are fun, but just rolling along a farm road is pretty fun, too. 

It was a nice ride.  I got back to my apartment just a little after six and ate everything in the cupboard.

As the days get longer (and before temperatures break ninety), I intend to do more rides like this.  If you have gotten out of the habit yourself, what with short days and nasty weather... go out and ride a bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment