Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Railroad Bridge on 16th Street

So I have a new personal initiative.  No one is required to follow me.  I know that I often pontificate as to how others "ought" to behave but I make no such announcement here.

The Tunnel under the SP railroad tracks on 16th street in Sacto is intimidating on a bike.  Traffic there is moving fast and goes over a blindish rise after coming out of the tunnel.  Signage (as you've seen in earlier photos, below) suggests that bikes "MAY" use the sidewalk. 

Well.  The sidewalk is for WALKING in my opinion.  In many places,  local ordinances agree with me.  The sidewalks on this tunnel are also tunnels--and none too wide.  They are barely wide enough for a cyclist and a pedestrian to pass.  I have ridden through these tunnels many times and have often inconvenienced some poor pedestrian trying to pass in the tubes. 

In the mornings, when I ride to work, I am now riding IN THE TRAFFIC LANE.  And not off to the side somewhere but in the MIDDLE of the far-right traffic lane.  My route allows me to turn onto 16th when all the traffic is stopped at a light.  I can ride into the tunnel with no traffic and be quite visible to the motorists behind me--they cannot miss my flashing tail light.  There should be no excuse for someone hitting me. 

There are FOUR lanes in the northbound direction here.  Plenty of room for motorists and cyclists alike.  I expect that many of the motorists that I see every morning are doing just what I am doing--driving their usual commute route to work.  Well.  Over the next few months I hope the horns stop blaring and they start getting used to seeing me here.  After all--I just need to get under the tracks.  I turn onto 16th street immediately before the tunnel and turn off of it to get to the bike path immediately after the tunnel.  Nobody has to put up with me for long.  We just all need to share the road. 

Wish me good health! 

No comments:

Post a Comment